Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Remakes of Old Songs.

Iwas listening to Pandora tonight while getting ready for work. For those of you who aren't familiar with Pandora (mom), it's a music website that allows you to type in a song you want to listen to, and it generates a "radio station" of similar songs. So, I'm straightening my hair, putting on makeup, doing the whole pre-work routine, when a familiar song comes on by an unfamiliar artist. I went over to my laptop to see who was singing one of my all-time favorite Otis Redding songs, "These Arms of Mine", and was surprised to find out it was Joan Osborne. Remember her? WHAT IF GOD WAS ONE OF USSSSSS...JUST A SLOB LIKE ONE OF USSSS...from the mid 90's? Anway, so as I listened, I decided I REALLY liked her version of the song. And then I felt guilty, because shouldn't I like Otis Redding's version better?! I remember exactly where I was when I heard Redding's version for the first time. It was a routine on So You Think You Can Dance a couple years ago, and I was sitting in my recliner at the old place, and all I could think was "MUST. DOWNLOAD. SONG. IMMEDIATELY".

That got me thinking about remakes of songs. Are there any that you prefer the newer version compared to the original? Off the top of my head, I can think of another one. "Simple Man". I like Shinedown's version a lot better than Lynyrd Skynrd's.

That's all I got for today. Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Pandora explanation. I may have to check it out. I also like the Shinedown version better, but will still give credit to Lynyrd Skynrd. Your Dad and I used to listen to them a lot.

love, mom

Steph said...

love pandora.. have it on my phone. i'll have to listen to joan's version of that song.. ottis is a classic.