Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blatant Hatred.

So, I hesitate a little bit to write today's blog, because I'm not trying to start any internet wars via my blog or Facebook, but I need to vent.
Most of you are aware of how Facebook works, but for those of you who don't...When you log on, and get to the homepage, there's a thing called a "news feed". Basically what the news feed is, is a rundown of all of your "friends" posts. I have like 300-something friends on Facebook, so obviously I don't speak to the majority of them, they just somehow ended up my friend via a friend of a friend at college or something equally as bizarre.
Anyway, so I log on yesterday, and this girl (whom I'm NOT friends with in real life, but we had some mutual friends in college) has a post somewhere along the lines of this:

"So I'm driving home on 85 in my Saturn, jamming out to music and minding my own business, when I see a sweet Audi drive by. I speed up beside it to see who's hot car this is, and what do I see? An effing Mexican. Figures. Probably not working, and using my tax dollars to buy that car."

What?!
Really!!?

Now, I'm not slamming the girl who posted it. I don't even really know her. It just blows me away that someone can be so blatantly racist on FACEBOOK. A social networking site that EVERYONE can see what you're writing. Which led me to believe she honestly saw NOTHING wrong with posting that. My first impulse was to post something nasty in response, but then took a few deep breaths to calm down. Then I realized that something SHOULD have been said to her. If you're gonna post something that unabashedly racist on Facebook, you're asking for a response. So, I wasn't mean, I just said something along the lines of: "Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a LITTLE bit? I'm sure it's not totally out of the ordinary to see an educated Mexican who makes money, isn't on welfare, and can afford to buy an Audi."

A few more people posted after me, calling her racist, or agreeing with her. That's fine, I guess. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I felt I needed to voice mine as well. Later that night, when I logged on once again, I looked at her page and she had deleted that post. I hope she felt like an asshole for posting something like that.
I'm not even a girl who gets easily pissed off my racism. I'll laugh at stereotypical jokes, and Felix calls me a "cracker" now and then. It can be funny. But in my opinion, something like that just gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. Not because of WHAT it said, but the fact she obviously posted something like that without a second thought as to whether or not it was offensive.
If you think like that, keep it to yourselves! I'd like to think we've at least come that far!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you and totally agree with you. You know I can get upset over the politics of race, but every person deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. Until of course they show you they DON'T deserve it, lol. People of all race and creed fall into that category daily!!!!!!!! You know me, I'm such a people person.

love, mom