Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hold the Seeds, Please!

I'm a big fan of fruits and veggies, but have never really eaten enough of them. I eat tons of strawberries and several salads a week, but that's about the extent of my intake. I went grocery shopping at Wal*Mart this week and was really surprised to see most of the fruit there was locally grown (or at least in Ohio)...and it was CHEAP. Don't ask me when I started caring about locally grown produce, because I didn't realize I did until I saw the "locally grown" signs. I guess who wouldn't rather buy a peach grown in Ohio instead of one grown in Costa Rica? Or Belize? Or God knows where?

Anyway, I got creative and really stocked up. In addition to my usual package of strawberries, I bought grapes, peaches, and cherries...because they're all so cheap right now! So, I'm happy to say I've been snacking on fruit all week instead of my usual processed foods.
I do have two complaints:
-peach pits, and
-cherry pits

This topic of conversation has actually come up several times this week. If you can make seedless watermelons, seedless grapes, etc....Why can't pitless peaches and cherries be grown? I'd totally pay a little more money for the convienance. Especially with the cherries. They're SUCH a pain in the ass to eat!

After a quick Google, I found this article written in July of 2008 and have come up with one conclusion: Fruit Growers are dumb. They're just now realizing there would be a market for pitless fruits? Come on, . Get your shit together and grow me some peaches without pits!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Obama can come up with some stimulus money for Ohio fruit growers..I can bring politics into anything!!

love, mom

L said...

Just an idea for your grapes...they are really good frozen after a long day or when it's really hot out. I love doing that.

And I hate Level 2.

Steph said...

grapes are definitely delicious frozen!