Thursday, August 27, 2009

If I Ruled the World...


Every week without fail, my three overnight coworkers and I pitch in a dollar on Tuesday's and Friday's, and I buy us four Mega Millions lottery tickets. We never win. Obviously.

Tomorrow's drawing is the fourth largest lottery jackpot in history, estimated at a cool 325 million bucks.

This shit's getting serious, ya'll.

Not only are we doing our little overnight drawing, but I also entered another work pool, which was five dollars. I will also buy five dollars worth of tickets for myself.

I want to win.

Yeah, I know, everyone wants to win the lottery, but I WANT TO WIN.

Winning the lottery would solve all of my problems. Predominantly the issue of me working overnights FOR-EV-ER.

Anyway, so the talk at work the last few days has been, "what would you do if you won the jackpot?"

If I won the jackpot (after taxes and if you take the cash option, it's estimated you're walking away with approximately 150 million bucks), here's what I would do:


Immediately put half of it (75 million dollars) in a trust fund to use for charity work. Yeah, that seems like a huge number, to give HALF to charity, but hey...If I can't make another 75 million last me until I kick the bucket, there's something wrong. Ya just won 150 million bucks. Nows not the time to be selfish.

Now I have 75 million left.

5 million of that would go to Felix. Let me explain why. In my newly rich paranoia, I'm accutely aware that I would totally think he was staying with me for my money. If I gift him 5 million, he can hit the road if he wants and live confortably without thinking he has to depend on ME for his newly found lavish lifestyle.

Left with 70 million.

5 million goes to my brother and his wife and their son.

5 million goes to my parents.

We're down to 60 million.

2.5 million would each go into a trust fund for Talia and Morgan...set up so they'd receive so much of it while they were in college, and can't tap into the rest until they graduate...with at least a B average. Boo-Yah!

Now I'm down to 55 million.

The next 5 million gets divided up between people I care about...coworkers, family members, not the people crawling out of the woodwork saying, "hey remember that time we partied in college?!"

That leaves me with 50 million dollars to invest and spend the way I see fit to last me the rest of my life. I think I could do it.

I'd build a modest house (but gorgeous, obviously), in either Canfield or Poland, and hire a personal trainer.

I'd go on one huge shopping trip with my closest girlfriends to Chicago, where we would spend one weekend shopping, and buying whatever we wanted...on my tab.

After that, I'd live a life where I would use that first 75 million to help people. Particularly children. Inner city kids that don't seem to have a chance, abused children, kids who can't read. That sort of thing. I'm pretty sure something like that could turn into a full-time job in itself.

I'd travel when I want to travel, spend when I want to spend...but I honestly don't see myself buying lavish, extravagent things.

If I really think about it, I'd be content to just being able to pay off my student loans and my car, which would put me at zero debt.

What would you do if you won the lottery?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how I would do it, as you know!! Hope ya win!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because a win for you is a win for me, lol

love, mom

Steve Braband said...

If I won the Lottery - I would shoot my name into the night sky with numerous loud fireworks, every hour, on the hour.

And probably buy an Ali Baba sword.