Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love.

"Eat, Pray, Love" is a book I've heard about for several years. I never read it because Oprah loves it, and I tend to think Oprah is full of crap a lot of the time. I also thought it was a book about a woman who went on some spiritual journey to India to "find herself", and most of the time I think all that is a load of crap, too. BUT- In the past several months, some close friends of mine have been RAVING about it, and when it ended up on the bar in front of me one night by chance (yes...at a bar, and don't ask) I decided it was about time I gave it a chance.
I'm only on page 89, but already I feel like this book was written FOR ME, and can see how it's easily going to be one of my favorites.

Here are a couple little excerpts from the book that really hit home with me. The context won't make much sense unless you've read the book, but maybe they'll make you curious enough to pick it up yourself and read it.

"The Augusteum (a neglected building in Rome) warns me not to get too attached to any obsolete ideas about who I am, what I represent, whom I belong to, or what function I may once have intended to serve. I might have been a glorious monument to somebody -true enough- but tomorrow I could be a fireworks depository. Even in the Eternal City, says the silent Augusteum, one must always be prepared for riotous and endless waves of transformation."

This one is my favorite (so far, as of page 89):

"My mother had made choices in her life, as we all must, and she is at peace with them. I can see her peace. She did not cop out on herself. The benefits of her choices are massive -a long, stable marriage to a man she still calls her best friend; a certainty in her own strength. Maybe some things were sacrificed, and my dad made sacrifices, too- but who amongst us lives without sacrifice? And the question now for me is, what are MY choices to be? What do I believe that I deserve in this life? Where can I accept sacrifice and where can I not?"

And finally, this is from an email Pat sent me (we both work overnight and email each other semi-frequently) about this stupid break up I'm going through: "....but regardless, I know you well enough to know that you are going to come out of this a much better/stronger/smarter/ more resilient person. You're SO much stronger than me...and if I can get through some of this crap, I know that you can."

That brings me to this. I've had a lot of my close friends telling me how strong I am. And I've had some not-so-close friends tell me how strong I am. Where do you guys see this strength? Because on days like this, I sure don't feel it. Or see it. At all. And why do I have to be strong? I don't want to have to be strong. I want things to go back to the way they were three months ago, when I was happy. I know I'll be happy again, but I just don't feel like I should've ever lost that happiness, and why do I have to struggle to find it when I was content before? I just don't think it's fair.

5 comments:

Patrick said...

You know all of the girl power workout challenge things you do on here? From the sounds of it, that stuff is rough. Sounds like it breaks you down pretty bad. Sounds like it hurts. Sounds like you hate it while you're doing it.

Sounds like you always end up a better, happier person at the end of them too.

Labor of Love(lace) said...

One, you are strong...because most of us (read: what I would do) is be a sobfest that couldn't function.

2. I like the quotes, they are tres relatable!

4.5. Maybe we should make Danville happen?

L said...

You challenge yourself continually and push yourself to your limits. Weak people don't do that. You write a blog about your personal life and put it out there for everyone to see. Weak people don't do that. You are ending a relationship and moving out on your own again. Weak people don't do that. You recognize that a relationship isn't what you want/going the direction that you want to go/making you happy anymore, so you face the truth and deal with it. Weak people don't do that.

All signs point to you being a strong person. From personal experience, I don't think you truly realize how strong you are until you go through something like this.

done and done. and I should probably get back to writing something on my own blog instead of trying to get all deep and philosophical on yours. LOVE!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought you were stronger that you think you are. I don't know why. I remember you used to kind of get mad at me about this and I would sometimes wonder if I was wrong and did't know you as well as I thought I did.(Hey teenagers, what do you do?)

But as I see you as a woman, my beautiful, talented daughter, and my dearest friend I know I am right.You ARE strong and realize that there is a wonderful life waiting for you out there. Even though your heart aches, you do step forward to embrace that life.

Does being strong mean that you will never be sad or have regrets? Of course not. Being strong means that you do NOT let the sadness drag you down or keep you from all the beauty and joy that there is to experience.

Listen to the lyrics of your song and you will see that mom was right! lol AS USUAL.

love, mom

love, mom

skittle365 said...

thank you everyone:)