Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving.

I suppose this is the day I'm supposed to write the cliche post about what I'm thankful for. One would think that at this stage in my life, I couldn't think of too many things, but actually the opposite is true.

The last month has been obviously stressful for me, but in my good moments (and firstly, I'm thankful that I have more good moments than bad), I realize how incredibly lucky I am to have the life that I do. Soooo without further ado, the things I am most thankful for this year. I'll try not to get too saptastic.

My Friends.
Up until things started heading south with Felix and I, I don't think I realized how fantastic my friends are. In the 2 and a half years I was blissfully in love, I did what most people do. I didn't keep in touch, or hang out as much as I should have. It goes with the territory, and I think everyone understands that. So naturally, when I realized Felix and I were NOT going to work things out, I kind of freaked. But then, an awesome thing happened. Friends came out of the wood work. People I haven't talked to in years started messaging me on Facebook, offering their support. Friends from high school (Lauren G.) I haven't talked to in forever, called me and let me pour my heart out. Certain friends who all work at ESPN in Connecticut call me/text me/leave me voicemails of them singing to me. Married friends (Sally) are willing to stay out with me until all hours of the night, just because it's hard for me to be at home. New friends take me out to dinner on Wednesday nights for margaritas to break up the monotony of the last few weeks before I move. College friends text me every single day just to see how I am (Steph). People invite me over and cook me dinner. Guys at work pat me on the back and ask me if I need any help moving, because they heard rumors through the grapevine. One guy even writes me poems at work, just to make me smile. It's absolutely amazing and I feel so blessed and loved and lucky to have these people in my life. I never realized how fully THERE for me they were. I hope that they can count on me the same way I'm counting on them.

Felix.
Yes, I'm thankful for him. Incredibly thankful. Before he came into my life, I had a string of guys that made me just feel BAD about myself. I was lonely, didn't like my job or where I was living, and had totally given up on the concept of a "nice" guy. I was bitter, bitter, bitter. Then I met Felix. I think I needed an actual MAN in my life who knew how to treat me with respect. He's never made me feel bad about myself. He's always called me beautiful. He's always been supportive. He's never been dramatic or ridiculous or jealous. He made me feel good about myself, and through him I grew a new confidence that I never realized I was missing. He made me a better person, and I hope I had the same effect on him. You know, I've never been the type to think there is just one "soulmate" out in the world for everyone. I think your life can take many different paths, and there isn't necessarily a "wrong" one that will lead to unhappiness. Felix was brought into my life to teach me what a good man is. I am going to miss him BOAT LOADS. I love him dearly. I will never speak poorly of him, and I am thankful.
I'm thankful we're getting through this so maturely. I don't know HOW it's happening...but by the grace of God, I think we'll be able to eventually be friends. I'm also thankful that I'm learning that heartache gets easier as you grow up. I'm thankful that the tears don't come quite as easily as they used to. Not that I'm not upset, or sad, or heartbroken. But now I'm confident enough in myself that I realize we're not breaking up because of something I did, or something I could've prevented. People grow apart. It doesn't mean he never loved me. Somehow it makes the whole thing a little easier.

Family.
This is an obvious one. My mom is one of my best friends. I call her every single morning on my way home from work. If she's off work, most of the time she even gets out of bed for my call, and will go back to sleep for a little while after we hang up. Who can say they have a mother like that? I have a mom who loves me enough to cry if I tell her I'm looking at jobs in other states, but she's also a mom that would fully support me in any decision I choose to make. My dad is fantastic, too. I was blessed with an amazing sister who was born when I was 16 years old. She's now a ridiculously smart and talented 10-year-old. I have an adorable nephew Brady, who continually amazes his family with all the baby stuff he does...and we all just stare at him in rapt attention when he's around. For all of them, I am thankful.

I could go on and on and on about things I'm thankful for, but these are the main three. What are you all thankful for this year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Turkey Day...I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mom

Patrick said...

Mashed potatoes and gravy.