Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My never-ending quest to become a better person is continuing with my latest challenge: I'm trying REALLY hard to become more of an even-keeled person. Let me explain.

My family has always called me "high strung". As in, I get too excited/mad/angry about stuff and tend to respond aggressively. (i.e I get pissed and say stuff I shouldn't in the heat of the moment). It's always kind of hurt my feelings when people say that, because I KNOW I'm really emotional, and there's no way I can change that. Not gonna happen. BUT- I most definately CAN control how I respond to a situation...especially at work. There's no need for me to get pissed all the time. It just makes me nervous.

I'm also working on not gossiping as much. Let me tell you, it's HARD not to gossip when you work in a newsroom. I've been trying to let the gossip come to me, instead of it going in my ears and out of my mouth to the next person I see. Anyone who works in television news knows how challenging it is to keep your mouth shut when you just sooooo badly want to add to the nonsense that's being discussed in the newsroom. So there's that. (by the way, my gossiping isn't mean or malicious and I don't talk sh*t about my friends. It's mostly at work as in "did you hear ___ happened to ____ and __might happen if they don't ___?")

Anway, so yesterday I was trying REALLY hard not to add my two cents to Gossip Central, while letting petty insults thrown at me roll off my shoulders, all the while biting my tongue instead of spitting out the first snappy retort that pops into my head.

Can you believe THREE PEOPLE asked me what was wrong and why I was being so quiet? Apparently the old adage holds true for me: If I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything at all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all love the snappy retorts!!

love, mom

L said...

I am right there with you in terms of the snappy comebacks. Its hard to control them, especially when you are around ignorant (read stupid) people. At work, I pretend I'm campaigning for homecoming queen on Saved by the Bell. I smile endlessly and am cheery/fake nice. So far it works, but i hate myself a little everyday.

Unknown said...

OMG it's so hard in this place. I try to distance myself, too. The only things to say about our workplace are gossipy, so let's just not talk about this hole ok?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://howtobuyclomidwithoutprescription.com] Buy Clomid online no prescription[/url]

http://howtobuyclomidwithoutprescription.com


purchase Clomid online