Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Look What I Can Do: Black Bean and Avocado Sammiches!

I was perusing Cooking Light's website during a break at work the other night, in an effort to find some cheap, relatively healthy, and yummy recipes. I've been eating WAY too much fast food lately, and not working out nearly enough...I can't deny it any longer: It's starting to show.

Anway, I came across a recipe for a sandwich made with a hollowed out baguette, black beans, avocado, and red cabbage. It actually sounded pretty tasty, but when I got home from the grocery store, I realized I forgot half of the ingredients, and I didn't buy a whole baguette because...damn...I'd never be able to eat the whole thing and I'm sick of wasting my money. Either way, I came up with my OWN version of the recipe, and it was DEE-LISH! And easy! And cheap!!!


While most of you may krinkle up your nose in disgust at the thought of black beans and avocados, I figured I'd post the recipe anyway for you adventerous folk out there..so here it is!
Ingredients (This is enough for at least 3 sandwiches, you can keep the leftovers in the fridge for 3 days):
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons prepared salsa
- a few jarred jalapeno rings, depending on how spicy you want it!
- 1 Avocado, pitted
- about 1/3 cup chopped up onion..maybe a little less
-garlic powder
-salt
Mash up black beans, salsa, and chopped up jalapeno rings in a medium bowl. Set aside. In seperate bowl, mash up avocado and chopped onion...add garlic powder and a little salt to taste.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast Sandwich thin in toaster. Take 1/3 of the black bean mix and heat in the microwave until warm. Spread on each side of sandwich thin. Top each side with a little bit of shredded cheese. Heat in the over until cheese is bubbly. Spread a little of the avocado spread on top, and enjoy!!!
If anyone makes this, let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of it, but...maybe since the beans are mashed. IDK (I just wrote that to irritate morgan!) if I would ever make it. I would probably eat it and enjoy it if someone served it to me for lunch! Hint, Hint. I would like frsh tomatoes on it in addition to the salsa.

love, mom