Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter Has Arrived in Northeast Ohio.

Seriously, someone needs to do SOMETHING about the travesty called winter road conditions in Youngstown.
I've been complaining about it since I moved here. I have NEVER lived in a place that does sooo little to treat it's roads during the winter. They don't plow. They don't salt. They don't do ANYTHING. I'm sick of having treacherous drives to work every year during the months between December and March!
It began last night. I had to be into work at 9:00 PM, so I left around 8:30. That should be MORE than enough time to go get gas, grab a latte at Dunkin Donuts, and make it to work right on time.
I hadn't been out of my apartment all day, so when I hopped into my car, I noticed it was WAY colder than it had been that morning, and cars were driving REALLY slowly. When I pulled out onto Mahoning Avenue (the main route from my apartment in Austintown to work in downtown Youngstown), the shit hit the fan. It was HORRENDOUS. An absolute ice-skating rink.
I made it to the gas station and Dunkin Donuts ok, and was breathing a sigh of relief because I was thinking maybe the roads looked worse than they actually were.
Still, after years and years of my dad pounding it into my brain that I was going to DIE if I drove in a dusting of snow, I creepy-crawled my way down the street towards the direction of work. I'm talking, MAYBE 15 miles per hour. First red light comes up, I brake...and aaarrrooouuunnndd I go. I do a complete 360 degree turn on the road, at a speed so slow, I actually had time to say out loud, "PLEASE DON'T HIT THE POLE, PLEASE DON'T HIT THE POLE". I stopped approximately 2 feet away from said telephone pole, and bumped into the curb before coming to a stop. I was right by a restaurant parking lot, so I pulled in to get my wits about me and sit for a few minutes because I was shaking so bad. I sat there for about five minutes, and in those five minutes, I saw four other cars do basically the same thing I had done. The roads were PURE. ICE.
When my trembling calmed a little, I pulled back out on the road. I get no farther than a few stop lights down the road (keep in mind, Mahoning Avenue is a steady slope DOWNHILL from Austintown to Youngstown), when the same thing happens. Around I go, slowly spinning into oncoming traffic. This time my concern was not getting hit by a car coming the opposite direction. So there I am, facing the WRONG way, waiting for other cars to pass me and praying they don't slide into me, before I can gently put my car in reverse and maneuver myself safely into the right lane. I slid AGAIN approaching one of the bridges. I really REALLY thought I was going to slide right into the side of it, but I somehow managed to keep my car on the road. It wasn't just me, either. Cars were spinning out left and right. There was NO ODOT truck as far as the eye could see. Just lots of Youngstown cops parked near accidents, or on the side of the road with their lights on, warning people of their impending doom. It was horrible. It took me AT LEAST 20 minutes to stop shaking after I finally got to work.
And it's like this all the time here!! I think the only reason it's usually not so bad, is that normally I'm heading to work a little before 11pm, so the traffic isn't as bad as it was last night.
All I want to do is win the Mega Millions, so I can move some place warm. Wait. Scratch that. I just gotta move some place that SALTS IT'S FRIGGIN' ROADS and I'll be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have spent more driving time facing the wrong way while living in Ytown than I have in my entire life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love, mom