Thursday, June 25, 2009

OMG. TRAINWRECK ALERT!

Figured I might as well continue my television theme this week, especially after the trainwreck I just witnessed from my DVR.


I decided to record the first episode of Bravo's new show, "NYC Prep", which is essentially a reality version of Gossip Girl. It follows around high school kids who go to private school on the Upper East Side of New York City.

This show made me sick to my stomach.
AND, it gave me a new appreciation for a "redneck" western Pennsylvanian upbringing. I'd much rather spend my teen years riding in a jeep on back roads, spotting for deer while my guy friends chew snuff, then grow up the way these kids are. It's shockingly sad.
They spend their time shopping at stores I didn't even know existed when I was their age (and I'm sure I STILL don't know about most of them). Labels? Come on, when I was in high school, wearing a designer "label" was having a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans from the Maurices in the Dubois Mall.
They have credit cards (care of mommy and daddy) that have no limits. I know that sounds like a dream, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have mommy and daddy attend my cheerleading functions and band concerts than them giving me a credit card to make up for their lack of attention and being raised by a nanny.
The NYC Prep crowd is having "parties" at swanky Japanese restaurants on a week night. Really? I had to be at home by ten AT THE LATEST on a school night. Midnight on the weekends unless I asked, and that was when I was commuting to Clarion Unversity my freshman year for college!
Forget about spending my nights at home "BBMing" (as the NYC preps affectionately call BlackBerry messaging). I didn't have a cell phone until what, junior year? And forget about even texting!! I didn't even get cell phone reception at my parent's house!
I just feel badly for these kids, because honestly? That's no way to grow up. How are they going to learn about the real world and how to be a good role model and parent when they don't have anyone showing them that? And why are they allowed to walk around NEW YORK CITY AT NIGHT all by themselves? Seriously? Granted, I'm sure they live in an ultra-safe part of the city, but I feel like I was barely allowed to attend high school football games by myself at the age of 15, let alone galavant around one of biggest cities in the United States. Disgusting!
Now that I've clearly shown I've become nothing more than an old dork, I'm done with my rant. Really, though? Really? This might be one reality show I can't stomach, no matter how much of a trainwreck it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you.

mom

KC Kinney said...

Haha! Love this post...
Good ole Brookville