Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ytown Connections.

Since the Austintown Library is basically in my backyard, I've been frequenting it quite often instead of wasting my money on buying books I'm going to read once, and then stash in my basement.

A few weeks ago I was perusing the aisles and this book by an author I'd never heard of, Tiffanie DeBartolo, caught my eye.


It's called "How to Kill A Rock Star", and I devoured it in a couple days. I just REALLY liked the author's style of writing.

Fast forward to last week. I was once again strolling the aisles of the Austintown Library when another book of her's caught my eye.


I started "God-Shaped Hole" yesterday and I'm more than halfway through it. I'm not sure exactly what it is about her writing that I love so much, I just like the pace of the book.

Anyway, so during a lapse in work last night, I googled Tiffanie DeBartolo to see who the hell this person was.

Turns out she was born and raised in Youngstown, OH! How crazy is that?! She went to Villa Maria High School, but dropped out before her senior year, then got her GED and I think ended up graduating from Berkeley College in California. She's also penned a few screenplays and what not, but her website hasn't been updated since 2007.

I ended up emailing her and telling her how (GASP!) I live in Youngstown, too! And I loved her books before I even realized she was from here! I also asked if she has written anything else, because as far as I can tell, once I'm done with "God-Shaped Hole", my Tiffanie DeBartolo obsession can no longer be fulfilled because she doesn't have any other books out. Think she'll email me back?

Anyway, I highly recommend BOTH of these books. They're love stories, but in a tragic, hip, indy, sort of way. No mushy gushy lovey dovey stuff, but the writing will definately tear at your heart strings and (if you've ever been madly in love) you'll identify with the characters in the book.

***DISCLAIMER*** Mom, no offense, but I don't really think these are your style of books, so don't feel obligated to go and fetch them and read 'em up just because I blogged about them. They have nothing to do with vampires, werewolves, or serial killers, so they're not really up your alley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness as I was getting worried. I did think the Ytown connection was cool though. Perhaps she will write a book about a serial killing werewolf in a blood feud with a vampire. If she does I am so there!!!!!!!!!!!!1

love, mom

sally said...

I love the library too! Thanks for the book recommendations! FailDateDC is back after a long hiatus due to an insane work schedule. Blog on!

Anonymous said...

ash... did i write back to your email yet? i don't check that website very much but you can find me on myspace under my name and i promise you will hear back from me within 48 hours. i miss youngstown pizza. thanks for reading my books. much, much love,

Tiffanie DeBartolo (and yes, this is really me. this blog came up on my google alert =)