Friday, July 10, 2009

Fit Friday!!!

Ok...Beach countdown? 14 days until I'm officially on vacation, 16 days until we leave for the beach! I've got all my cute summer dresses bought, flip flops picked out...a mental list of everything we need to take...but I'm also a little concerned about working out. I really don't want to take an ENTIRE week off. I think I'm planning on taking my Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD (twenty minute workout, but SUPER. TOUGH. Ugh!), my loptop, and my light weights. Hopefully I can make myself get up at least 2 or 3 days that week and exercise.

Speaking of Jillian Michael's, she was on the cover of Self Magazine this month, and I REALLY liked what she had to say, because I can definately identify with it:

" If I didn't work out and watch what I ate, I'd easly be 200 pounds. In seconds! I'd have donuts every morning for breakfast and pasta with three pieces of bread and a glass of wine for lunch. But I don't, because I prioritize. I am not the girl who loves the gym. Wrong girl. And I'm not the girl who loves broccoli, either. But I AM the girl who feels potent, capable and confident when she feels strong, and I don't want to give that up. To me it's not about building a better body. It's about building a better life. And if your health is your platform for life, it's got to be rock solid. If you want to take on the world, you need a good foundation."

-Jillian Michaels, Self Magazine July 2009

Words to live by, folks!!!


So, rewind to last Fit Friday, I said I was going to begin making/reviewing one healthy recipe a week. This week I cooked up a very lightened up version of a cheesey, beefy, quasadilla (kind of adapted from Hungry Girl's , but I tweaked mine and I like it better).

These things rocked my socks! LOVED them! I ate one for breakfast four days this week.
Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
-1 large high fiber/low calorie tortilla ( I used La Tortilla Factory's high fiber smart wraps)
- 1 serving Boca ground crumbles (I swear you can't even tell this isn't ground beef)
-1/4 cup fat free shredded cheddar
- 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Swiss
- 2 tbsp light sour cream, divided
- 1/4 tsp dry taco seasoning mix
-salsa

Directions:

In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine soy crumbles, fat free cheddar, taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon of light sour cream, and stir. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, mix again, and set aside.

Lay tortilla flat and spread Laughing Cow cheese wedge evenly over one half. Bring a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat, and lay tortilla in it with the cheesey side up (obviously). Top the cheesey half with soy crumble mixture.

Carefully fold the plain tortilla half over, pressing down with spatula to seal. Cook for about a minute, until slightly toasted. Flip and repeat!

Cut into triangles, top with the other tablespoon of sour cream and salsa.



290 calories or cheesey awesomeness. And since there's so much fiber? It keeps you full for hours!

I'm definately keeping this recipe review thing going, because I get sick of eating all of the same stuff everyday. Next week I'm going to make Strawberry Pie. Yum!

I was also going to pick a splurge food every week, but I didn't have one that was overly exciting in the last 7 days. Unless you're a producer for a morning television show, and your live reporter goes to a Greek festival and brings you back baklava. Then, the baklava is DEFINATELY a splurge food. Not that I would know anything about that.

I also want to take a minute to tell everyone how absolutely fabulous my mom is. She's been dutifully following Weight Watchers and has lost around 30 pounds. I can't even begin to describe how proud of her I am...and my dad,too. He's a walking fiend who has lost a bunch of weight as well. They're both awesome for taking control of their health...I want them both to be around for a very, very, long time. Love you guys!

I'll leave you with this fun fact courtesy of Women's Health Magazine: People who seldom smile in college photos are FIVE TIMES more likely to divorce than those who smiled more.

So smile away!! Be happy!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ash! I am having a really crappy day at work and this made me feel better. I lost 2 pounds this week. I thought I would feel better if I weighed early and had lost weight. Praise God that I did not gain. The way I feel today that would have put me over the top.

love, mom