Friday, July 24, 2009

Fit Friday!!!

I have a BUNCH to talk about today, so here's the order (I'm doing this for my own good in hopes I don't just randomly type a lot of stuff):

-Beach!

-Pedometer

-30 Day Shred

-Recipe Recap

-Healthy Links!


**Beach!**

I am officially on vacation as we speak! To kick it all off, I scheduled an hour long Relaxation Massage at Casal's de Spa in Canfield. I usually shy away from there because it's a little pricey for my taste, but I have a $25 gift card leftover from Christmas, so I'm putting that towards the massage. Wondering why I'm writing about massages during Fit Friday? Read here for some health benefits.

Anyway, so we leave Sunday night for the beach, and I AM going to try to get some exercise in while we're down there, but I'm thinking it's going to be mostly walks along the beach. I've slacked a little the last few weeks with workouts, so I'm figuring this will be my last week of relaxation before coming home and really getting serious (which I'll get to later). I'm in a funk and just need to re-energize.

**Pedometer**

Alright, so, I think I touched on this a little last week, but I wanna talk about this a little more in depth. I've been think that even though I work out for an hour or so at least 4-5 times a week, my lifestyle is otherwise sedentary. I watch TV, and I sit at a desk at work. And while I try my best to take the stares, and take breaks and walk around, I really do NOT move as much as I should.

So I bought a pedometer.

The Surgeon General recommends 10,000 steps a day for health and fitness. Depending on your stride, that's about the equivalent of 5 miles a day. I didn't realize just how HARD it is to achieve those steps!

To clear it up a little, a pedometer does NOT measure other activities besides walking/running. So, if you're on a bike, it doesn't register. So I guess technically if you work out, you don't HAVE to reach 10,000 steps, as long as you're getting a moderate level of physical activity. ANYWAY, My goal this week was to reach 10,000 steps a day. I only accomplished it TWICE, and that was by taking FOUR MILE WALKS around town during the day. Insane! I didn't workout Tuesday at all, and only registered around 3,000 steps. It's really opened up my eyes to how sedentary I am. And here I thought I was active!

Interested in a pedometer? This is the one I bought, and so far, no complaints. Very easy and simply to use. Seems accurate, too. I want to buy the Fitbit but it's a little pricey ($99), and it's not even available until August.


**30 Day Shred**

I've gotten SO bored with working out lately, that I need to switch something up. Let me make myself clear, I'm not entirely UNHAPPY with the way I look, but it's gotten to the point where I enjoy working out and challenging myself and eating healthy because I FEEL better and I'm HAPPIER. That being said, I don't want everyone thinking I'm on some quest to get super skinny, because I know I'll never be that without being miserable. I'm comfortable in my own skin (or at least getting there). Anyway- I've had Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred for months, but usually only do it when I don't feel like working out, or need to get something quick in because it's only a little over 20 minutes. Then, every time I do it, I realized it's the hardest 20 minutes of my life!

Beginning August 1st, I'm starting the 30-Day Shred. It's meant to be done EVERY DAY. No days off. The DVD has three levels to it, so I'm going to begin at Level 1 and do ten days of each level. Since it is only 20 minutes, I'm also going to try and combine it with daily walks (gotta get in those 10,000 steps!) at least 4 times a week. I need to switch up my routine and I'm hoping this is the way to do it. It's a challenge. And it works! Google "30 Day Shred Results" and look at some of the before and after pictures! It's Amazing! Anyone wanna try it with me? Let me know, I'm starting it the day after I get back from the beach. I'll take my measurements and see how much I shrink in 30 days.

**Recipe Recap**

I've found the BEST recipe for a healthy version of hot wings. They're boneless and baked and they are AWESOME. Like, amazingly awesome.

Ingredients:

-1 pound boneless skinless, raw chicken breasts, cut into nugget sized pieces.

-1/2 cup Fiber One original cereal, ground up to a breadcrumb like consistancy by a food processor or blender.

-2 ounces (about two servings) light Mesquite BBQ Pringles, crunched up into small pieces (put in a baggie and break up.

-6 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot

-Cayenne Pepper

-Adobo seasoning

-Garlic Powder

-Black pepper

Preheat over to 375. Mix together Fiber One, crunched up Pringles, Cayenne Pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and Adobo seasoning (use your judgement, there's no specific measurement) into a medium bowl.

Coat raw chicken with Frank's Red Hot. Piece by piece, roll chicken in Pringles mixture and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for around 1o minutes, or until the coating is crunchy and chicken is cooked through.

That's it! LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!!!



**Links!**

Sorry. This took longer than I thought and now I'm sick of blogging. No links. And Fit Friday will be on hiatus next week because I'll still be at the beach! And while I plan on posting every day, I think I'm just going to post a single picture every day and then wait to tell all my Vacation Tales until the week after we return.

2 comments:

L said...

Soooo....I will do the 30 day burn challenge with you. What all is this going to entail? I have to get the video, but how are you going to gauge how much you lose/muscle tone? I have no scale but I do have a tape measure. What are the rules? Is this the only form of exercise or are you doing this in addition to your daily exercise? I need some guidelines, so put it in an email and I'm going to order the tape. Enjoy vaycay!!

The Gilligans said...

Okay, so lots to say on this one!

1. I love that you are on vacation and going to the beach with just Felix! You two deserve it and what fun too! Have a great time and I want to see photos - travel safe!

2. I tried the pedometer thing too when I lived in MD. I got real close or over my 10,000 each day I was AT work, but I blame that on chasing those crazies that felt the need to run out of the classroom screaming for no reason at all! Did I mention that is reason #999 why I am back at school and not teaching???

3. I am with you on the 30 challenge! Well not totally, I mean that I am starting the p90x program Monday. I finally got the pull up bar and am ready to go! So we can be each other's support!

Enjoy your beach trip - I am jealous! Miss you much Smash!