Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is a Size 0 the Norm Now?

Ok, first a little background. Beth Ditto is apparently the front singer for a band called "Gossip" and describes herself as a "fat, feminist lesbian from Arkansas". Wonderful, great. Whatever. The only reason I even know who she is, is because Perez Hilton absolutely adores her for some reason, and I adore Perez Hilton.

Anyway, so, in attempt to make the most of her 15 minutes of fame, this Beth Ditto chick has released a "plus-sized" line of clothing. Here are some pics of her line (I stole them from Perez's website...Perez please don't sue me for copyright infringment):



Umm...am I missing something? These girls don't look "plus-sized" to me! Do they? Apparently this line is for big girls that begin at a size 10. Is size 10 really considered chubby? I'm confused. I don't get it. No, really. Really? If that's the case, then I think we need to start calling anything a size 6 and under "anorexic fit".

I'm not bashing you if you ARE a size 6 or under, I'm just trying to put it in perspective.

I'm guilty of feeling that sick pleasure of fitting into a smaller size, just like any other female on the planet, I just wish there was a way we could all get past obsessing about it so much. Let's just all exercise when we can, eat as clean as we can, and be strong and healthy! I know I sound like a creepy motivational speaker, but geeeez.

Does this make anyone else sick besides me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is shameful that plus size clothes are never modeled by plus size people. I think it would be better since comsumers would not be as disappointed and horrified by how they actually look when they try on the clothes. It is also murderous on our little girls as they grow up.

love, mom

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure designers consider their models to be- literally- like a hanger for the clothes. Like, a bone hanger. haha So the garments don't curve over curves, they just hang. You know, like they do on the rest of us :)

I completely agree. Size 10 is totally normal. Especially since it's most of us.