Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Cheat" Foods that aren't really cheating.

In my never ending quest to drop 10 pounds (it used to be 20, so I'm making a bit of headway), I've learned a few things about myself. Like how I can go low-carb for a week before devouring everything in my kitchen, up to and including saltine crackers (who houses saltines??). Or how I can eat strictly chicken salads for dinner five nights in a row before the thought of chicken...or salad...makes me want to barf.


I'm being a LITTLE dramatic with these scenarios, but here's my point: You have to find a balance that works for you. My balance includes foods that feel like they should be bad for me...but they're not. Or at least not terrible.

So, the following is my list of "cheat foods" that really aren't cheating..and some are even GOOD for you.


Let's start with my addiction. My crack. My heroin.


1. The Dunkin Donuts Iced Latte Lite.




Weighing in at just 80 calories for a small, and 120 calories for a medium, this iced coffee drink with a shot of espresso has less than HALF the calories of its non-lite counterpart. Who wants to waste hundreds of calories on a DRINK? Not worth it, especially when these taste just as good as the regular, just a little less creamy.

2. The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedges.



In the back of my mind, I'm convinced The Laughing Cow is really laughing at me because I believe one of these creamy wedges of soft swiss cheese only contains 35 calories, 2 grams of fat, 1 carb, and 3 grams of protein. I can't even begin to describe how great these are. You just have to try one. You can use The Laughing Cow in anything and everything. Melt it in eggs, spread it on toast or a bagel, it's delicious on crackers with turkey pepperoni, and it more than adequately takes the place of a slice of swiss on a sandwich. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.


3. Kashi TLC Cookies: Oatmeal Dark Chocolate:

These babies were off the shelves for a little while because of the peanut butter recall, but now they're back and I buy them ALL the time (pssshhht...E. Coli doesn't scare me!!!). They're not super low-cal...one cookie has 130 calories, BUT the stats are pretty impressive for a cookie. The cookies contain rolled whole oats (keeps you full longer) and chunks of dark chocolate (antioxidants what!). They don't have ANY enriched flour, no white sugar...and there aren't countless additives you can't even TRY to pronounce listed on the box. If you're gonna have a cookie...at least one that's giving you a heavy dose of whole grains!

4. Fiber One Pancake Mix:

This. Mix. Seriously. Rocks. Who ever thought you'd be able to enjoy three nice-sized pancakes for just 180 calories and a whopping five grams of fiber? Add some sugar-free syrup and some light butter, and you have a breakfast that will keep you full for hours...all under 250 calories. These pancakes are so good, you honestly cannot tell them apart from regular ones. They're super easy to make, too. Fiber One has been kicking ass with its new line of products...and these don't disappoint. (Note: Be aware of how many Fiber One products you consume in a day though...especially if you're not used to eating lots of fiber. Your stomach...and coworkers...will thank me later for the heads up!)


5 Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches:Not much to say about these. 100 calories for a decent-sized ice cream sandwich. 'Nuff said.

Aaaaand the THREE HOUR season finale of the Biggest Loser is on tonight. It's not over until 11. Someone is going to be late for work tonight. That someone is ME.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good recommendations all. My favorite is the pumpkin bar by kashi, yummy!

Love, mom

sally said...

You are wise. This will no doubt be the most important thing I read all day. Coming from someone who has housed Saltines on more than one occasion, this list will come in handy.

Katie said...

laughing cow cheese is WONDERFUL. i love finding new ways to use it. lol. mmm mmm good!