Thursday, May 28, 2009

Life's What You Make It.

The other day, I realized I've been out of high school for EIGHT YEARS.

I've been out of college and at my current job for FOUR years! When did this happen?

Realizing my life is SERIOUSLY flashing before my eyes, it got me thinking...and I'm asking you this:

Are you where you thought you'd be right now?

If you would have told me three years ago that I'd still be at the same job and living in Youngstown, I would've laughed at you and said "no way in hell".

Yet, here I am. My life is NOTHING like I pictured it to be.

If I could've mapped out a timeline for my life, right now I'd be an associate producer at Fox News or CNN in New York City, making my way up the ladder to bigger and better things.


I'd be breezing through the city, enjoying the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple, while struggling to pay rent in a broom-closet-sized apartment. Eventually (being fabulously single the entire time), I'd have enough money to buy a penthouse apartment in Manhattan, because I would be some sort of bigwig executive producer.

Instead, I'm going on four years of working the night shift for a very small market television station in Youngstown, OH. I live with my boyfriend of two years in a rented townhouse in a suburb of a quickly dying city. It doesn't really seem like there's much room for advancement at my place of employment, so it looks as though I'll continue working overnights for as far in the future as I dare myself to look.

Guess what? I couldn't be happier.

I'll be the first one to admit, I probably wouldn't still be in this city if I hadn't met Felix and fallen deliriously in love. That being said, if he and I ever go our separate ways (I hope not, obviously), I'm pretty sure I'd keep my life close to the way it is now.

If I hadn't stuck around, I wouldn't have learned how important my family is to me, and how much I enjoy being able to hop on I-80 and visit if the mood strikes me. If I had moved away, I wouldn't be able to be as close to my little sister, Morgan, as I am now...and I would miss a great deal of her growing up. That's something I believe I would end up regretting. If I was still on the career path I thought I imagined for myself, I wouldn't be able to stay as close to my true friends from high school as I am now (It's hard enough now and I'm only an hour and a half to 5 hours away from them!!).

The biggest thing? I think I'd be lonely.

When it comes down to it, a job is a job. It's a paycheck. Eight hours of your day. I'm not saying you should be miserable, but there's so much more to life than career satisfaction. Surrounding yourself with people you love and who love you is more important than making it big in a big city.

What about you? Are you where you thought you'd be? Are you happy with the decisions you've made in your life so far?

6 comments:

The Gilligans said...

Fabulous! Absolutely fabulous! For such a long time I have thought this, but when ever talked about I would get these crazy looks as if I was on something for being happily settled in little KANE,PA! I couldn't agree more - close to family, with the one I love, and a satisfying career. Life is good Smash...life is good!

Steve Braband said...

Was this post written by Jack Handy?

Stephanie said...

Couldn't agree more.. If you told me (and you did) that I would be married to Rich and still living here I'd tell you that you were crazy (and again, I did). And if I knew that I would be in banking, and loving my job I would have said "NO WAY."

But right now, I couldn't be happier!!! I've learned a lot about how important it is to have the people you love around!! With that said, I love you lots and I'm glad we've stayed friends for these 7-8 years!! :) k. enough sap.

skittle365 said...

No Steve, Jack Handy unfortunately did NOT write this post, but he DID write this:

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."

And Steph and Lauren..funny how it all works out, huh? Glad you're both happy, too:)

Anonymous said...

I'm right where I want to be Ashley..the best husband, daughters, son, daughter-in-law, grandbaby, Felix and Talia in the world. Our cats are pretty cool too! I'm glad you finally drank the koolaid. I always wanted you to be happy, but DID NOT want you all alone in the BIG APPLE or the Windy City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love, mom
P.S. Can you imagine us navigating the big city to come and see you? Heaven help us, D.C. and the beltway was bad enough.

Patrick said...

I don't live within driving distance of one person that I consider a friend, I hate the state of Connecticut, and despise the people I live with. I'm not in a relationship, and I don't talk to my family. My job rarely requires me to think. I don't make a million dollars. I have nothing going for me.

However, I'm from Pittsburgh, and the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Life is what they make of it for me, and this just happens to be one hell of a great year.