Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Kick Butt Home Workouts

Tonight is the second to the last episode of this season's "The Biggest Loser". While I'm not sure about what kind of message the show sends to contestants (you are a winner if you drop more weight than the other contestants in the shortest amount of time, if not, your peers vote you out), it is still pretty inspirational and one of my favorite shows.
So, in spirit of the show, I thought I'd share my home workout routine since it involves one of TBL trainers, Jillian Michaels. Warning: She is a TOTAL bitch on the show, and pretty tough in her DVD's as well.
I workout at home because I've found it's the only way I'll be consistent with exercising. Before Felix and I moved in together, I went to the gym, because that's where he and I met, and it was motivation to go and see him every day.
After we started living together, the drive to the gym was much farther for me, and I found myself going less and less. And unless I went to an actual aerobics or spinning class, I'd hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes at an average speed, then end up going home. Wasn't doing too much for me in the weight loss department.
So, I started buying workout dvd's and exercising at home, and I've found it's something I really enjoy.
Recently, I've realized I need to step up my routine a little bit and make it more challenging. Felix and I have a beach trip in just under 3 months, and while I'm not banking on having a bangin' bikini bod, I at least want to feel semi-confident in a swimsuit.
That's where Jillian Michaels comes in.
She recently released these two workouts:




I bought "No More Trouble Zones" first. you can get it for under $10 dollars on Amazon. This workout is a KILLER...or so I thought before I tried "Banish Fat Boost Metabolism".
NMTZ is all strength training, but it's also circuit training so your heart rate is up the entire time. I did it a few times a week until "BFBM" came in the mail.
THIS WORKOUT SUCKS.
But it's a good suck! It too is circuit training...but it's purely cardio. Have fun struggling through 7 circuits (5 moves each, and you repeat each circuit) of burpees, mountain climbers, jump squats, and old school calisthenics like jumping jacks.
Both workouts are each about 45 minutes long and TOTALLY worth the effort.
Right now, I've been doing BFBM Mondays and Wednesday, and NMTZ on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's my third week of the routine and I'm already seeing pretty great results.
I can definately see why Jillian's contestants win every season on The Biggest Loser. She's a trainer who definately knows her stuff, and her workout dvd's aren't any different.

Her "30 Day Shred" dvd is also a kick butt workout if you only have a half hour or so for a workout. It's pretty intense:




Keep in mind ALL of her DVD's (at least the ones I own) are full of jump work, so it's a little stressful on the knees.
So, even if you're a gym rat...keep these DVD's in mind for days you can't drag yourself out of the house, or the weather isn't cooperating with your outside workout. I think even guys would find this workout intense, although I haven't succeeded in convincing Felix to do this workout with me on the weekends. Maybe someday.

Also--- HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!! Instead of celebrating with a few Corona's (or 10), I'll be working. Can't we make it so CINCO DE MAYO!!!! (I think it looks more exciting in all capital letters and exclamations) always falls on a Saturday? Surely Barack Obama can make that happen. Personally, I think it should've been a priority in his first 100 days in office...because, really, he's Barack Obama and I thought he could do anything. What gives?

5 comments:

sally said...

I am making my world famous WT Beer Margaritas tonight! I will drink one or two for you. Cheers!

skittle365 said...

Ahhh I'm so jealous you're drinking WT Margaritas! I was JUST telling someone the recipe for it last night at work.

Do you add a whole can full of tequila? I can't remember!!

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I
know this is completely off topic but I had
to tell someone!

My webpage psycholog wrocław

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your blog. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write
some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to
mine. Please blast me an email if interested.
Thanks!

Here is my homepage :: etnografia

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I
was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

My page :: rolety warszawa