Friday, May 8, 2009

Not Burning My Bra Anytime Soon.





This blog post might single-handedly set the women's movement back 50 years. It's about my firm beliefs in traditional rolls of men...women...and relationships.


The idea came to me as I was perusing the interwebs, searching for recipes Felix might like for our dinner tonight.


Our schedules are so opposite during the week, that we buy our own food and make our own meals. So, I've gotten into the habit of cooking dinner on Fridays for both of us.

Feminists out there may gasp! Why doesn't HE ever cook for ME?

I'll tell you why. First, I genuinely like to cook.

Second...wait for it...

There's something satisfying to me about making my man a homemade meal. Because, the old adage still stands: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. It's one of the easiest ways to put him in a good mood. If I can show him I appreciate him by making him lasagna or pot roast, I'll do it. Happily. Even with an apron on (if I had one). My mom instilled in me the importance of being able to cook when I was fairly little. I remember her telling me I needed to know my way around the kitchen in case I got married, or better yet, in case I never did. She's a good cook, but after doing it for 40 years, she hates it. My grandma, however, is a great cook, and she still enjoys doing.

There are some other fairly traditional womanly rolls I don't mind doing.

1. Laundry. Honestly ladies, this job SHOULD be ours. What guy knows which pair of your jeans NOT to put in the dryer so they don't shrink? Or that your unmentionables need to be washed in a garment bag on the cold/gentle cycle? I think it's just easier to do it myself, and while I HATE putting laundry away, there's something about having a nice, big basket of neatly folded laundry that makes me feel calm.

2. Allowing him to be the "MAN". There's nothing wrong with letting him think he's in charge (Ladies, we know better). I think he should be good at fixing things that are broken, carrying heavy things upstairs, getting stuff you might not be able to reach, taking out the trash, and opening jars that you just can't manage. I also think it's foolish to emasculate him in front of his friends. Even if he pisses you off, just wait until you get home to show him your womanly wrath. There really is no need to do it in front of his boys.

3. I try to look semi-presentable when he gets home. Even if that means I'm still in my sweats (at least I showered). I WANT him to think I'm pretty, and remind him how lucky he is to have me in his life. I tried hard to impress him when we first started dating, so why quit now that we live together? It's not like he's never seen me without makeup on, or stinky and smelly from working out, or smelled my morning breath...but I can't find fault with making an effort to look good for him.

4. Cleaning the kitchen floor. This doesn't need a huge explanation, it just bothers me when there's hair and crumbs and dried pieces of pasta being kicked around my kitchen.

I'm not saying there doesn't have to be any effort on HIS part. Felix makes his fair share of dinners (or at least BUYS them), I haven't cleaned the bathroom since we moved in together becaues that's HIS job, he drives alot of the places we go, and he's never sitting around in his own filth. I also am 100% confident he's going to stick up for me if some guy says my ass looks fat (not PHat) at a bar. Our relationship is pretty equal, even if it might be a little old-fashioned. It works out.

Well, I'm off to start making some cajun chicken pasta before Felix gets home from softball practice. And even though I may have makeup on and my hair is curled, I'm still wearing sweat pants and slippers.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I hate to cook..so explain to me why I just made 275 pounds of macaroni salad? Yes Ashley it was for Zac and his football function! lol...I cannot think of another reason I would make that much macaroni salad...unless YOU needed 275 pounds of macaroni salad! (Somehow I don't see you asking)..

I loved your column today...I don't think it should set women back. It is just simple respect, love, and making an important relationship work.

Plus we simply CANNOT burn our bras if you know what I mean! lol

love, mom

skittle365 said...

Did you really make 275 pounds of macaroni salad? Please tell me you're exagerrating <--I can't spell that word.

I'm glad you liked it!!

And yeah...no one wants to see this girl (or these girls) without some added support. My bra is staying in tact;)

Anonymous said...

Well I cooked 4 pounds of raw macaroni and it felt like 275 pounds when I was making it... yeah I exaggerated a bit.

love, mom